Emergency Acres Available For Grazing

Ag producers impacted by drought can now request haying and grazing on Conservation Reserve Program acres in certain Wisconsin counties, while still receiving their full rental payment for the land.

Outside of the primary nesting season, emergency haying and grazing of CRP acres may be authorized to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or similar natural disaster. The primary nesting season for Wisconsin ended Aug. 1.

Counties are approved for emergency haying and grazing due to drought conditions on a county-by-county basis when a county is designated as level “D2 Drought – Severe” according to the U.S. Drought Monitor: https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Producers can use the CRP acreage under the emergency grazing provisions for their livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage.

Producers interested in emergency haying or grazing of CRP acres must notify their FSA county office before starting any activities. This includes producers accessing CRP acres held by someone else. To maintain contract compliance, producers must have their conservation plan modified by USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service.